Friday, July 07, 2006

The Flipper... and more NY

Today is Friday. I wasn’t really sure if I was going to make it. My attitude on life is directly related to the weather it seems. It didn’t used to be that way, I’m not really sure how it happened. It’s not that I don’t love the sunshine. In fact, I do love the sunshine. I just am slowly melting from the heat. I can’t seem to sleep at night, I’m waking up at odd hours of the night because my room is so hot. It making me a little grumpy. I’ll be honest, I’ve lost my patience, and I’ve noticed that I have begun to whine. I’m really starting to annoy myself, I don’t like whiny people. So I’m camping out in front of the world’s smallest air conditioner, and spending some quality time with it.
I was watching tv last night, and the room mate came home from work (yes, he does occasionally work, shocking I know. He doesn’t like to own up to it though, people get these expectations and think that he should do it all the time and whatnot, so he normally doesn’t admit to it. Plus, his view on work is taking a two hour nap at his desk.) Anyways, so I’m watching tv and he mentions that I have a new boyfriend. Another boyfriend, he says, without a car. I looked him slightly confused, because I’m 100% single. He laughs and says, HBO on Demand! Way to go funny guy. Nice. I have real friends, honest. I just choose to move as little as possible in this weather. Plus, I’m new to the whole cable tv scene. I also am easily distracted, so having 500 channels at my fingertips is fairly negative. I’ve always been a flipper, you know, that annoying person that changes the channel as soon as the commercials come on. But now, with 500 channels, it takes me move then the allotted 5-7 minutes to get back to the original channel. So I end up missing half of the show, I get bored because it isn’t entertaining any more, and next thing you know… I’m flipping again. I never had this kind of trouble before. I think that cable tv has increased my inability to commit. Because now I can’t even commit to watching an entire show. Sad.
So… I promised more on New York. Lets see. Where should I start? Amber and I decided to take a red eye flight, because we figured the sooner we got their the better, right? WRONG. Red eye flights are the worst. It’s bad enough that you are in a place for 6 hours, with no way to really relax, but then you through in the lack of sleep… and things get nasty. Positive, I have to think positive. So, the good thing about a red eye flight is… wait, there isn’t anything. Being the stingy money savers that we are, we opted to fly out of Seattle. This saved us about $100 each. I got off work early on Wednesday, and ran home to pack. I was worried, because it seemed that I had way to much that was deem necessary, and very little space for it. Finally, I narrowed down the essential from the really-want-to-take-it-even-though-I’ve-owned-it-for-three-years-now-and-still-haven’t-worn-it-once. Then I proceed to pack my two suitcases (side note: I was going for a week, I’m allowed to take two. Also, note that neither was exceptionally large. One was small enough to be a carry on, the other was the next size up.) Amber called, all upset because she was worried that she was bringing to much. I reassured her I was probably taking to much as well, but we are girls, we are best at over packing, long phone conversations, and knowing the difference between the colors sand, khaki, off-white, bisque and tan. (Oh, and per the room mate, cooking barefoot in the kitchen.) The trip officially started when Amber showed up at my door to pick me up. She looked at my two suitcases and began to laugh. I looked at her two suit cases and laughed. I laughed because her suitcases combined weighed more then she did. One was the size of a small island, the other was a little bigger then Montana. I would just like to say that lugging that friggin’ suitcase all over NY was not as fun as it sounds. That thing weighed in at 95 pounds, and was extremely hard to get up three flights of stairs in our elevator-less hostel. At one point Amber considered mailing part of it home, but the thought of not having everything there caused a slight amount of panic, so that idea was quickly discarded. We had originally planned on spending the first part of our trip in Boston with Amber’s friend Paula. Unfortunately after the tickets had been bought, we found out that she wouldn’t have space for us to stay with her until the end or our trip. So, after spending all night on a plane, we caught a greyhound bus to New York. The four hour trip wasn’t that bad. The bus driver did yell at me. I guess I was popping my gum, because all of the sudden the intercom blares, “Would you please stop popping your gum!” I looked at Amber and whispered, “Is he talking about me?” She replied, “I don’t see anyone else chewing gum…” Oops. We also learned that if you don’t recognize where you are, chances are you’re in Connecticut. Who knew? We arrived in NY at about 2pm. We found our way out to the street, and waited for a taxi. The taxi’s are just like I remember them, a near death experience that you pay for. Every time is a surprise. The surprise is whether you are going to make it to your destination alive or not.

5 Comments:

At 12:59 PM , Blogger Lacey said...

Hey! Welcome to Blogger! Ya!

 
At 11:12 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Everytime I read your blogs I wanna hug you cause i miss you so much and your sense of humor blows me away. I guess I never knew you were THAT funny! You are though and it brings such a smile to my face!- love ya, Erin

 
At 8:44 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey beckers! I found you...You went to NYC AND YOU DIDN'T TELL ME!! ACK@! that's crazy lady...I'm so jealous, sounds awesome. Who's amber? I want to see pictures, and more details on what you guys did. I'm so proud of you for going to the Big Apple. I hope you played it safe! I miss you...lots to catch up on...and no, no official date yet...ayeeee! I know, I've been waiting to give that news for a very long time now :) anywho, I love you! keep on bloggin', I love your posts :)

 
At 6:22 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I thought you were going to write in this thing. You're slacking.

 
At 3:34 PM , Blogger Lacey said...

ok...its now time for a new post!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home